A water heater operates for almost 15 to 20 years only if it is maintained properly. But that doesn’t mean that all the water heaters can serve for a long time. Sometimes due to lack of proper care, the water heater might show a baffling response. They can be treated well after a slight repair. Is your water heater behaving strangely these days? Are you confused whether to repair once again or replace the tankless water heater? If yes, then you must check these signs mentioned below that will clear all your doubts regarding your water heater.
- 1. The aging signs that indicates replacement – if your water heater has crossed that guaranteed period and has served nearly more than 15 years then it might be the time that it needs a substitute. It depends on the quality of water heater, the number of times it has encountered repairs and several changes in temperature and pressure valves. Also, note the voltage fluctuation, or a problem in the fuses or in the main circuit board that can lead to several other issues in the main unit. If you do not have any idea about the age of your tankless water heater, locate the serial number of the manufacturing. That sticker would definitely have the date but it is not easy to read. For example, the number written on the sticker is C10453639. The letter ‘C’ stands for the third month March and next two digits, 10 which indicates the year, 2010. If you still face the confusion, then log in to the product site.
- The reduction in the temperature of the water – the temperature may decrease due to many reasons. There might possibly a fault in the temperature panel or the temperature valve, and even in the electrical bridge between the water heater and electrical supply. It might also happen due to sediment layer beneath the surface of the water heater that obstructs the heating capability. If you are unable to receive heated water and the temperature has dropped even if you have regulated it high, then do assess the tankless water heater internally. You can further change the thermostat or the valves, or replace the gas burner in the case for gas water heaters.
- Unnecessary leakages– if you have discovered excess tickling and dripping of water from the heater, then it’s time that the water heater needs a replacement. The plumbing pipes may break down, the pipes may get thinner or the vents which can also be replaced but if it still gets prolonged, due to erosion, then you should start looking for a new one. Do not neglect tiny holes because if the water heater bursts, there might be an overflow of water. Before judging it, do take the advice from an expert.
- Discoloration of hot water – if you notice a change in the color dispatched from the faucet, then do investigate the internal parts that may lead you to the cause of this. It usually happens when a layer of sediment settles on the surface of the water heater. Another reason that can bring discoloration of water is due to rusty rods. With time and exposure to air and water, the surface itself begins to rust and corrodes. Therefore it is necessary that you should check the anode rods, the valves, and the surface seasonally because this will help you in maintaining a hygienic life and keep you and your family away from water-borne diseases or any foreign germs.
- Unfamiliar noises – if you get to hear any strange sounds from the tankless water heater, then immediately switch off the power supply connected to the heater. It might happen due to many reasons. There can be a fault in the heating room, the anode rods may mail fail to function, water getting heated up too much or unwanted deposition in the heater. These are few reasons that are the core reason for the sounds. If it rapidly increases, urgently call a mechanic or look for a new water heater. Here we have found excellent resource to check tankless water heater reviews must see before buying it.
The aforementioned reasons are the crucial points that a water heater user should never neglect. Since water heaters play an important role in our lives, starting from early morning warm baths, to providing water for dishwashing and for cleaning clothes, they are indeed vital. So, even they do need love and care annually or monthly. A daily checkup can increase their lifetime to 20 years. Therefore, if you find any of these signs, consult a professional and replace your water heater.